Thursday, November 11, 2010

Making Sauerkraut !

Today I Made Raw Sauerkraut !
A tablespoon a day of raw sauerkraut is vital for good health they say. Raw kraut will colonize your colon with friendly flora that will produce vitamin B12 to meet all your body's needs. If you suffer with digestive problems eg cramps, diarrhea constipation or crohn's then eat fresh raw sauerkraut daily. About 10 years ago when I went raw I made this but I didn't like it (My eldest son ate it all )but now I know that my gut flora is so low I will make my self like it. Earlier this year I went and saw a clinical nutritionist and had some stool samples sent of to a lab in the Eastern States it cost me $350. It revealed my gut flora was very  low and I had a parasite Dientamoeba Fragilis. So I took a herbal remedy to get rid of that, I also took a high strength pro biotic that was costing me $4.50 a day. Still not feeling any better after all that so I'm looking forward to my sauerkraut being ready to eat. Here is my recipe.
1 large green cabbage
6 cloves of garlic .
2 cups of water
1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt.
1 Whole apple.
handful of sultanas.
Save a few of the outer cabbage leaves to put on top.
I finely chopped up about 3/4 of the cabbage and put into my ceramic crock pot . Then I chopped up the rest and put it in to my blender with 2 cups of water , garlic,whole apple and salt then blended it until smooth.
Then I poured it over the cabbage in the crock pot stirred through the sultanas and mixed it really well then pushed it down as much as possible then layered the cabbage leaves over the top then I put a tea towel over that then a saucepan on top leave for 6 days then it is ready. if the weather is warmer it will take less time. store in glass jars in the fridge will last a few months. also spoon off any dark or off colour spots or white scum that may be on top of the sauerkraut,this is harmless yeast called kaham. To receive the benefits of the live lactobacillus bacteria ,consume the sauerkraut as soon as possible. After a short period of time the bacteria will die off.
Raw Sauerkraut is wonderful and strengthening for the digestion ,full of lactic acid which regenerates the bowel flora and has all kinds of enzymes, live lacto-bacilius bacteria, choline, acetylcholine, vitamin C (wow those last three build strong brains and memory ) B-complex vitamins including B12 and lots of other good things !

No comments:

Post a Comment